Refugees in Nauru. Source theage.com.au
Refugee Manual Downlaod
TO SEND THEM OFF TO CAMBODIA IN A SO CALLED RESETTLEMENT DEAL IS AN ABROGATION OF AUSTRALIA'S MORAL RESPONSIBILITY.
CAMBODIA HAS SAID THAT IF IT SIGNS THE DEAL THE REFUGEES MUST COME VOLUNTARILY,A SMALL APPROVED NUMBER FIRST AND THEY WILL LIVE IN THE COMMUNITY. THIS IS GOOD.
HOWEVER MAJOR DIFFICULTIES CONFRONTING CAMBODIA INCLUDE
- THE CAPACITY AND EXTENT OF THE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES, STRETCHED TO THEIR LIMIT IN DEALING WITH THE TRAUMA ALREADY EXISTING THERE.
- THE LACK OF JOBS FOR YOUNG GRADUATES, LOW WAGES, UNEMPLOYMENT RATE NUMBER OF MIGRANT WORKERS MOVING ILLEGALLY TO THAILAND. The creation of a new group living below the poverty line causes misery and predictably social unrest.
- NO CLEAR DOCUMENTS OR SYSTEM FOR REFUGEES, WHICH PROTECT THEIR RIGHTS.
If the deal goes ahead, refugee friends in Cambodia advocate the following
- No INSTITUTIONALISED accommodation. No guards with batons or guns. Freedom to come and go from temporary accommodation without surveillance
- A gathering place for refugees to meet and friends to accompany them
- Clear DOCUMENTATION from the beginning which guarantees identity, residence, status, right to work(Meets the requirements of employers), birth certificates for babies born here, TRAVEL DOCUMENTS
- Guidelines for requesting CITIZENSHIP for those who want this.
3) MENTAL HEALTH PROVISION WITH PARTICULAR CONCERN FOR CHILDREN AND VICTIMS OF TRAUMA
4) RELIGIOUS affiliation taken into consideration
5) DIGNIFIED QUALITY OF LIFE
- A package of initial help that caters for rent, food. House supplies, electricity, water, clothes, language training
- An insurance or other scheme for health and psychological counseling
- Access to education
- Help towards income generation through grant or job placement. As /if the refugee moves towards self-reliance and integration, the assistance should be cut back gradually so that the possible income the refugee receives can absorb the costs of living.
6) PROTECTION OF RIGHTS including right to work or set up small business and freedom of movement
7) FAMILY REUNIFICATION ASSISTED
8) PROVISION FOR PROTECTION IN AUSTRALIA IF DEAL IS NOT A DURABLE SOLUTION